What is Root Canal Treatment
Get To The Root Of The Problem
Root canal treatment (also known as endodontic treatment) is necessary when the inside of the tooth (pulp) and surrounding area becomes infected. This can be as a result of cracking, decay or injury. Root canal treatments can save a tooth that is badly damaged or decayed. The treatment involves the pulp of the tooth being removed and the cavity sealed. Consequently, the tooth is restored.
Symptoms associated with the need for a root canal treatment include:
- Sensitivity to hot or cold food or drinks
- Pain when biting or chewing
- Swelling of the gum near the affected tooth
- Oozing from the affected tooth
- Facial swelling
- Pain which is spontaneous and throbbing
- Pain which may interrupt sleep
- Pain which may be refer to head, temple or ear
The aim of RCT (root canal treatment) is to save the tooth and prevent it from future infection. If RCT is not carried out, the infection may spread and the tooth may need to be extracted.
What happens during your treatment?
We at Ideal Smile will:
- Remove the infected or damaged tissue inside the tooth
- Clean and disinfect the area
- Fill and seal the space using advanced materials
- Crown(cap) the tooth after infection is resolved and RCT is completed
Root canal treatment may take multiple visits to your dentist depending on the individual case. Your dentist will use a numbing gel on the gums to minimise discomfort. This is followed by a numbing shot. After these, you should not feel any pain or discomfort. After the treatment, your teeth should look the same as other natural teeth.